Keeping the house baby-proof can eliminate the possibility of discomfort to your child and for you too. It would seem far from practical to make your house 100% safe. Given the unpredictable nature of babies, it would seem far from practical to make your house 100% safe. Being precautionary and pro-active can contribute considerably. You can enjoy the charm of your baby and his/her day-to-day activities under a safe babyhood.
Things to watch out for
1. Babies are curious and great explorers. Your supervision can score above all the baby-proofing methods.
2. Avoid hanging wires and open sockets.
3. Be vigilant about the staircases, cabinets and drawers which can be potentially attractive for the child.
4. Avoid leaving the child unattended while bathing.
5. The crib has to be safe. Remove fluffy items like stuffed toys, pillows, comforters etc. Keeping the crib bacteria-free is important as the child is in regular contact with it.
6. The toxic and poisonous items should be out of your kids reach, preferably locked. Keep medicines under closed cabinets away from the child’s vicinity.
7. Garbage should be kept in a closed container. Be specific about the diapers as they can be an easy source of bacteria for the baby.
8. Do not let draperies hang loose as they can potentially entangle and cause accidents.
1. Keep the crib safe
It is very important that the child’s crib adheres to the basic safety parameters. The hand crafted ones may be tempting but not safe. It may limit a tight fitting mattress. Safety requirement allow no more than a fingers width between the mattress and the crib frame. Furthermore, you should get a crib which can accommodate and adjust to your child’s need during the fast growing months.
2. Use a baby monitor
A baby monitor can be used to keep track of your child. A monitor which allows hearing your child’s voice can serve the purpose.A monitor can aid you in tracking the child in a room even if you are not physically present there.
3. Electrical appliances and outlets
Cover up all the electrical outlets so that the baby cannot put his/her little fingers inside. Once your child starts movement, he/she will hardly leave any reachable item untouched. Purchase the covers from stores because this investment, which may seem useless, is certainly meant for the good. Keep the electrical appliances covered as much as possible. Tie up the hanging cords and wires to the maximum to prevent sudden falls.
4. Baby gate
The baby gates can protect the child from reaching unwanted places which are potentially harmful or damaging. Infants are too clever to derive ways to connect to unreachable spots and locations. A baby gate can act as a guard while you are not present to supervise him/her. Prefer to install gates which do not have horizontal slots. They should be high enough for your child to climb over. Stairs should particularly be guarded with gates because tension gates are not always reliable. Many accidents and falls can be avoided with the help of gates installed at appropriate locations.
5. Orient kitchen area
Small children, particularly infants, have a special preference for their mothers. No matter how hard you engage them, they will accompany you in the kitchen. It is prudent to organize your kitchen according to the child, instead of forcing him/her to stay away. You can use locks in the cabinets and drawers, so that your child cannot open them.
6. Install door knobs
It is a good idea to get doorknobs installed. These can be used to keep a room locked. Since the child cannot control the doorknobs easily, you can keep him/her away from several potential dangers by closing the room.
7. Baby-friendly bathroom
A baby-friendly bathroom can help keep the child from potential accidental tendencies which arise inadvertently. A scaled protector can be useful in preventing burns to the baby’s skin.