Pregnancy always brings joyous news to the couple and their entire family. The baby within the womb becomes the precious possession of the would-be mother right from the beginning. Everyone liked with the pregnant lady wish for the good health and well-being of both mother and the child. But a right kind of diet is extremely important to give enough nutrition to the baby in the womb and the lady carrying the womb. It is correct food that is responsible for the proper development of the baby. Hence it is recommended by the doctors to follow the proper eating guidelines during pregnancy.
How to select the right pregnancy diet?
During pregnancy a woman underwent many hormonal and emotional changes. Her eating preferences change very quickly like mood swings. Therefore it is important for the people around her to take care of her eating habits and her likings. Although it is believed that a pregnant woman should be allowed to eat whatever she likes, extra care should be taken while selecting the food items during pregnancy. Here are certain foods that should be included in the pregnancy diet –
- For prenatal nutrition, it is highly recommended to have a balanced diet including proteins, carbohydrates, iron and calcium. Foods like breads, meat, fish, eggs, milk, fruits and vegetables are very important to be included in the pregnancy diet.
- High fiber foods such as sweet breads, whole wheat breads, rice and pasta should be included in the diet of a pregnant lady.
- Leafy vegetables like spinach, fenugreek, cabbage, beans etc. are full of iron, vitamin, minerals and folic acid that is required for the pregnant lady.
- Dairy products are extremely important for a pregnant lady to get the enough amount of calcium ie. at least 1000-1300 mg per day.
- 27 mg daily of iron consumption is recommended during pregnancy; hence assure that pregnancy diet should include this dose of iron.
- A pregnant lady needs at least 70 mg of Vitamin C daily therefore he diet should include foods like tomato, mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, papaya, cauliflower, green peppers etc.
- Vitamin A is highly recommended in the pregnancy diet but not more than the required amount. Foods like carrots, apricots, sweet potato, pumpkin, water squash etc. are full of vitamin A.
- Pregnant lady should include some nuts in her diet to get the high energy levels all the time.
However, it is recommended by the experts to consult the dietician before selecting any diet for pregnancy.