The first few months of pregnancy are most important for the development of your baby. Throughout the term of pregnancy, you should be careful about using alcohol, drugs and medication. This article outlines various precautions that you need to follow during pregnancy. It is vital that you take care of your health as it will directly impact the baby as well as you.
Consumption of alcohol may result in Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. This will result in the slow development of the baby. It might include improper development of facial features and slow learning capabilities. There is no cure for babies suffering from FAS.
1. Since, there is no information on the specific amount of alcohol intake during pregnancy, it is best that you avoid alcohol consumption.
2. Certain medicines like cough syrups have 25% of alcohol content. It is advisable that you refer to your health specialist, in case you are prescribed such medication containing alcohol.
This stimulant has diverse effects on the consumer. It can lead to anxiety, irritability and nervousness. It also affects the sleeping hours of the consumer. The effect of consuming caffeine during pregnancy is still under investigation. However, scientists believe that it may cause babies with abnormalities.
1. Cut down on beverages such as tea, coffee and soft drinks etc. These have high caffeine content.
2. If you are used to drinking caffeine beverages regularly, decrease your intake gradually. If you stop it all at once then it may lead to headaches, nausea and fatigue.
3. Certain medicines for allergy or cold may also contain caffeine. In such cases, always seek the advice of your health care expert.
Smoking may lead to serious adversities during pregnancy. It is likely that pregnant women who smoke will give birth to babies with low body weight. This will lead to other health problems for the baby. Sudden ‘Infant Death Syndrome’ and breathing problem will arise for the baby. Passive smoking is equally harmful.
1. Stop smoking all together. If you are a regular smoker, cut down on smoking gradually.
2. Avoid being in a room where people are smoking.
These are included while cooking to stimulate the color and taste of the dish.
1. Avoid outside processed food like burgers and pizzas.
2. Avoid red meat. These contain sodium nitrate which is carcinogenic.
3. Make sure that all the fruits and vegetables are washed properly before you eat them. They may often contain pesticides on their peels.
Non-vegetarian food Content
Eating raw fish, meat or other poultry products may cause infection and dysentery. Unpasteurized milk is equally fatal to your health.
1. Cooking kills the harmful bacteria in the meat or fish. Always cook properly so that no part is left raw and uncooked.
2. Heat the milk before drinking. This will kill the bacteria present in it.
3. Maintain clean habits. Wash the dicing board on which meat and fish are cut.
Certain medications prescribed for your treatment may affect the baby. Always consult your health care service, before subscribing to such medication.
1. Check the side effects of drugs that you are taking for treatment.
2. Above all, always refer to your doctor.
Television and other Video Display Devices
Although this particular field is still under investigation, it is advisable to reduce exposure to video display devices. This is based on the normal side effects of over exposure to such devices. Too much of TV viewing leads to stress on your eyes and may cause headache.
1. Reduce your exposure to television and computers whenever possible.
2. If you are working on your PC or laptop, make sure to take small breaks. Stretch yourself during these breaks and relax.
This is a strict ‘NO’ during pregnancy. This may lead to heavy stress and fatigue.
1. Avoid carrying any sort of load, light or heavy.
2. Do not push yourself to do work. Keep yourself free from stress and strain.
Your baby’s health depends on your health. If you have unhealthy diet habits, your baby is bound to suffer in the process. So, make sure that you have a balanced and nutritious diet.
1. Maintain a diet rich in vitamins and minerals.
2. Adjust the protein content in your food habit. Excess of anything is never healthy. The right amount of protein will aid the baby’s growth and development.
Pregnant women need more nutritious diet than other people. Proper food intake is necessary for the development of the unborn baby. Apart from this, you need to keep yourself free from any sort of anxiety or stress. Always remember, once you are pregnant, you are no longer just taking care of your needs only, the baby’s need is also your responsibility.